Maui -- Swimming with 16 dolphins

I have been to Hawaii 3 times and I like Maui the most.  It was a once in a life time experience when sixteen wild dolphins and one sea turtle swam with me at Honolua Bay.  The beach was formed with big round stones.  The corals close to the shore was great for snorkeling.   While I was snorkeling, I heard high pitch sounds.  I was excited to learn that it might have come from the dolphins.  I tried to make the dolphins notice me by snapping my fingers under the water.  I didn't know if the dolphins really can hear me.  However, they swam to me.  I had my snorkeling goggles on and I noticed it was quite a distance between me and them.  I saw the big black group of dolphins moving towards me.  No kidding, there was a moment when I was not sure  if they were sharks or dolphins. 
I was so happy that the dolphins stayed close to me as if I was one of them.
The bottlenose dolphins were not shy to show off their spinning skills in the air. They are very playful.   It was one of the most magical moments of my life.  From that moment onward, I became a big fan of dolphins.  I don't like them living in an aquarium or at "Sea World".  they deserve to live in the wild open ocean.
Another big bonus was to see a sea turtle just 2 feet from me while I swam.  We swam together for a while until I couldn't keep up with the sea turtle any longer.   Till this day, I still remember the thrill I had at the Honolua Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment